I am a graduate from Bangladesh.
Target : 240 plus
Actual score: 242
Preparation time: a dedicated study from November 2016 to July 2017. But had pre-exposure with Goljan, Kaplan, and medical text books like Guyton, Robbins pathology, Davidson etc from 3rd yr of medical school.
Reading text books helped me a lot I think, but it is not mandatory; KAPLAN is more than enough for basic conception.
- Kaplan video plus texts for all subjects except patho (for patho, I used Pathoma videos plus text),
- 100 cases of ethics,
- BRS Physiology,
- UWORLD offline once, UWORLD online once,
Did 5 online NBMEs
- NBME 16: 228
- NBME 17: 225
- NBME 15: 232
- NBME 18: 242
- NBME 19: 234
- UWSA 1: 247
- UWSA 2: 245
About the exam day:
- I didn’t feel any anxiety, it helped me a lot
- Questions pattern were more like UW
- Some questions were very confusing
- I ANSWERED most of the questions by exclusion method
- there were CT scans, ECGs, heart sounds and lots of pictures and up crease down crease questions
- I think the questions were very straightforward and doable in Anatomy, Micro, and Pharma.
- I felt some difficulties due to memorization problem, especially in pharma and micro.
- Understanding the question SCENARIO is very much important, UW can help you in this, all questions had clues, but you have to identify them wisely I think.
- I skipped some tough questions very quickly that’s why I could invest those extra time on other questions.
- Breaks: first 3 blocks in a row > break > 2 blocks > break >1 block > break > last block
Mistakes I should have avoided during my preparation:
- I did not complete UW online, around 200 questions were left before I appeared for the exam
- I did not review all wrong UW online questions
- I did not read or search the explanations of NBME questions even NBME 18 or 19
- I did not read UWSA questions with explanations
- I did not review Pathoma prior to the exam
My recommendations for future test takers:
- Do Kaplan videos and text if you think you have basic concept deficiency
- Must do Pathoma videos plus text again and again
- Emphasize enough on UW, invest at least 70% time of your preparation on reading the explanations
- Don’t be panic with FA, you’ll always feel like your preparation is not complete, you are forgetting all the stuffs
- Don’t read the FA alone, do it with UW.
- Don’t overthink anything, UW concepts are more than enough, so many questions can be made from the explanations, but you don’t have to learn more than what is described in UW
- Limit your resources so that you can invest more time on UW which is required.
- We have to understand and also review it again and again, in a word repetition is the key.
In Sha Allah, every one will do good.
The article was posted on Facebook by the author. It was later edited and published here with the permission from the author. Image designing by Arnab Mukherjee.
We continuously update our articles by consulting with the author and changes in recent guidelines of the exam. Please make sure you are subscribed to our newsletter (it’s completely FREE) to get notified on future updates of this article.
Write an article today
The Paradigm Shift Group is a community website, where everyone can publish materials related to study. The goal is to provide high quality FREE study materials created, edited and studied by academic people (students, researchers and professionals). You can write an article on this page or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.